Carlos Slim is a renowned businessman and was born in Mexico, January 1940. This name has become a popular name across the globe due to his financial achievement. In his younger years, he attended the Universidad Nacional Automona de Mexico. He later became a family man with three sons who are also living their own legacies. Though he had three boys, all his kids totaled to six. His children include Carlos, Marco Antonio, Patric, Soumaya, Venessa, and Johanna.
Carlos Slim Net Worth - $72.9 Billion
Birth Name - Carlos Slim Helú
Date of birth - January 28, 1940
Zodiac Sign - Aquarius
Birth Place - Mexico City, Mexico
Nationality - Mexican
Height - 5' 8"
Profession - Financier, Entrepreneur, Philanthropist, Investor
Carlos features a diverse portfolio in his investments. He invests in different industries ranging from telecommunications, education, health care, industrial manufacturing, mining, oil, food and beverages, real estate, airlines, media, technology, hospitality, entertainment, retail, financial services, as well as sports.
However, looking at earlier statistics, Carlos Slim was not as pronounced as he is currently. It was until the year 2010 after he was ranked the world’s wealthiest man. This was definitely something to grab the attention of many across the globe. He managed to hold this position through to the year 2013. His massive wealth did not sprout out of nowhere. He gradually accumulated it and made investments in different fields, which range from retailing, finance, technology, and communication.
Still in the year 2010, Carlos’s part of his net worth with the equivalent of $49 billion from his overall fortune came from America Movil. It was during this time that the company was considered the largest mobile phone carrier in Latin America. With his success, he has been able to make the right investment while at the same time giving back to the society through donations and supporting of different foundations.
Looking at Carlos Slim net worth as of October 2015, he was worth $60.2 billion a rating provided by Bloomberg. Looking at history, he was also named the world’s wealthiest man in the year 2007. This was after surpassing Warren’s Buffet’s net worth who was the current wealthiest man. Their net worth margin was slight with Carlos net worth reading $53.1 billion and that of Warren reading $52.4 billion. Wealth ranks have changed for Carlos since them but it is evident that he is not about to leave the top positions.
The following indicates Carlos Slim net worth over the years:
- According to Fortune, Carlos was ranked the richest man in the word with a net worth of about $59 billion after he surpassed Bill Gates with a clear difference of $1 billion between him and Bill Gates.
- A year later, 2008, Forbes ranks Carlos Slim as the second wealthiest man in the world after at a net worth of about $35 billion his initial position was scoped by Warren Buffet. This pushes Bill Gates to the third position.
- In 2009, he slipped to third position with Bill Gates and Warren taking the first two positions.
- In 2010, according to Forbes, he jumped back to taking position one as the world’s richest man at a net worth of $53.5 billion. This was the first time that the number one person was Mexican even after including the ranks provided in the United States.
N/B: All records provided by Forbes have not had the richest man originate from elsewhere other than the United States before this for more than a decade. In addition, he was also the first person to be ranked as the richest person who dwells in an “emerging economy” ever. For him to scope this position, Carlos Slim net worth more than double between the year 2008 and 2010.
- In 2011, he maintained first position at a net worth of $74 billion according to Forbes.
- In 2012, Forbes still ranked Carlos as the wealthiest man across the globe.
- In the year 2013, Bloomberg L.P ranked Carlos the second richest. However, Forbes did not agree to this and still ranked him as the wealthiest man with an estimated net worth of about $73 billion.
- The year 2014 was no different and he stood strong at a net worth of about $81 billion.
Carlos Slim is growing his fortune and this is despite the position he takes. Despite coming from a struggling and still emerging economy, he has managed to increase his net worth. Some individuals have questioned this as they wonder how he manages to increase his net worth despite the wobbling economy back at his home country. However, numbers do not lie and he is making it as one of the wealthiest men.